Saturday, March 24, 2007

Day 1: One we go

6:07 AM: I've taken a shower only to realize I've packed away all my clean underwear downstairs. This is a problem...

Update: Im actually in Cordoba right now, but Im going to write about the first day befor I forget! Also, this keyboard seems to be different and difficult to type on, so dont expect any apostrophes any time soon!

We departed quickly Saturday morning. I had to scramble to get myself ready since the shuttle guy was early. He was nice, a good change for the shuttle drivers. He seemed like he had downsyndrome though, because he spoke in a really slow way and he swerved all over while driving. Poor guy worked the night shift, and we were his last guys for the day (this was at 10:30am !).

The plane ride went smoothly. We got there okay, and enjoyed the lunch my Mom packed for us. In a place where the food costs you an arm and a leg, my dad and I relished the great sandwich my mom made for us, gracias Ma! My dad and I waited for the plane in what seemed like the basement of LAX. The terminals were setup in a haphazard way (compared to the nice way its usually setup), and it was pretty dank too. When they finally called our terminal, we were put on a shuttle to a remote terminal. My dad had a good point, in the airport you rush to the next step, then wait, rush to the next step and wait. The extra terminal seemed like what we programmers would call spegghetti code, they setup the airport so it would *just work*.

The plane ride went great. There was a guy next to us that looked exactly like some guy I work with, so I kept glancing his way trying to convince myself that he wasnt him. Thank goodness he didnt notice or that would have been awkard! The initial plane ride lasted 12 hours until the plane made a stop in Peru. That was some really good sleep and reading time, that time went by really fast. The plane then got going again so we could rush to our next step, Santiago, Chile, and wait in the airport for about 5 hours. The airport was a nice place, and there my Dad told me about the history of the place. He told me a bit about San Martin and how he is really the Washington of the South. He was responsible for driving out the Spanish and giving Argentina and Chile their own nation, go San Martin :). The birds I saw flying outside the airport were amazing as well! There were two hawks flying outside near a dirt area. They were a light brow, with white winged tips, a white head, and a golden beak. They flew much differently than the birds up north, they would swoop down, and skim the surface for a good distance. Ive never seen a bird fly like that! Oh, also at the airport we were conned out of 8 dollars for some Earl Gray Tea and some odd cookies. It was a good meal, but in no way an 8 dollar meal!

Oh hey, this is actually day 2, time to move on to that and say a few good words about Cordoba, one of the best cities in the world for a social life!!

No comments: