Friday, March 13, 2009

Challenging the Mantra

Silly, I know, but this has helped me.

* Some other "procrastinator phrases" include:[2]
o "I just don't really feel like doing this right now. I will do it later."
+ Say instead: “Even if I can’t get the whole thing done right now, I can start on this part.”
o "It's no big deal if it doesn't get done."
+ Say instead: “This is important to ME, so I choose to start now.
o "It won't take me that long."
+ Say instead: “This may take a long time, but I choose to start now and get part of this done right away.”
o "It's not fair."
+ Say instead: “I choose to do this”
* Taking on a second-person view can also help. Tell yourself: "You know you’re just putting this off. Take the time right now and get started on this part. You’ll feel better and then you can take a break, or start on another small part."[3]

No comments: